Thursday, August 7, 2008

Breaking Dawn

Has anyone else read Breaking Dawn yet? I won't post a specific review of the book here since I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read it yet since I know some people are very passionate about this sort of thing. But I will list a few general comments/questions that I would love to discuss with anyone who has gotten their hands on the book:

1) Where did all of the Cullen's funky nicknames (Em and Jazz?) come from? Will we start calling Edward "Eddie" next?

2) What did you think of Jacob's narrating in Book 2? Personally, I'm not a fan; I felt like we lost a lot more than we gained when we lost Bella's perspective - we didn't get to see her and Edward work through some really tough stuff.

3) How was the quality of writing? I didn't think it was quite as strong as the previous books in the series. They say that in writing you're supposed to "show" rather than "tell." While I don't think that was a problem in this book, I think that we were "shown" an awful lot of things that didn't necessarily need to be dwelled on and missed a few things that might have made more impact. Anyone want to argue with me?

4) Did anyone else think that Edward's character wasn't really there? He seemed more like a placeholder for the character that needed to be there than like the actual, interesting, perfect character we've all grown to love.

5) Did everything end too neatly, or was the resolution just right? What about everything that happens to Bella? Did she get off to easily? Personally, I'm somewhere between the two...

I have additional things I wouldn't mind discussing if someone wants to bring them up in the comments, but I won't put anything else here for fear of giving anything away. Generally I'm actually happy with the book and many of the events make sense in the context of the rest of the series - I'm just not completely satisfied with the way it was presented.

Overall grade: B/B-

No comments: