Friday, July 31, 2009

Buffy vs. Edward

For all of its amazing popularity, many have criticized Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga as being anti-feminist. They often cite that Bella cooks for her father and sacrifices college for the sake of her relationship with Edward - not to mention her eagerness to marry at a young age - when making this argument. Edward himself also bothers some readers, who say that he is incredibly overprotective and stalkerish.

I'm not here to make judgements either way about Twilight being anti-feminist or not. But I think that no matter how you feel about Bella's character and the Twilight saga you will probably get a massive kick out of this video, especially if you also remember a certain teen vampire slayer:



So what do you think about Twilight? Do you think it's anti-feminist? Is Bella a weak character? Is Edward creepy and domineering? If you admitted "yes" to any of these questions, is that necessarily bad? Does this video make you think a bit more about these issues? Which to you prefer - relatively docile and romantic Bella, or kick-but Buffy? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I prefer Buffy, but I'm about 100 percent sure that you knew that.

How I feel about Twilight is something I wrestle with a lot though. I have a hard time with the relationship, as you know, however I do read other romance novels. I think that Bella=waaaay weak, while usually romance novelists try to toss at least a little strength in there.

I actually think that I read somewhere that Myers tried to make Bella kind of an everygirl so everyone could relate. I think that this is another problem that contributes to her wimpyness...She's too busy trying to be "relatable" to make an interesting, strong character.

Danielle said...

Also, I did enjoy the very first Twilight book. I like to throw that out there.

Sandy said...

I'm inclined to agree with you about the "relatable" problem - over the course of the four books Bella seems to have lost some of her initial appeal largely because she's so generic. I think her character starts out a lot stronger in Twilight than it finishes in Breaking Dawn.