Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Newbery Predictions

In just a few weeks, a committee for the American Library Association (ALA) will announce their selections for the 2010 Newbery Award. This award is granted every year to the most distinguished works of literature for children. In honor of the upcoming award as well as of the conclusion of a great 2009 in children's literature, I'm going to try something crazy this year and make my own predictions for the award. Based on what I've read this year (and I've read a lot!) here are my picks:

Newbery Medal

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

The writing in this book is so incredibly clean and efficient. Every single word packs a lot of punch, and nothing is wasted or fluffed up. The story is deceptively simple, yet plenty complex enough to get readers to really think. The nod to Madeline L'Engel's A Wrinkle In Time with probably appeal to committee members as well, since the books is a much-beloved classic which won the Newbery Medal itself in 1963. Historical works have also been popular with the committee in recent years, only increasing this book's chances. In short: When You Reach Me is a nearly flawless book with interesting characters, great setting, and amazing writing that (even more amazingly) should appeal to most children.

Newbery Honors

Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

This is a stunning, thought-provoking story of a boy with autism. The narration was absolutely perfect and really reflects Jason's (the main character) unique mindset. I loved getting inside this great character's head and seeing what makes him tick. The subject matter is serious enough to grab the attention of the committee but can be broken down into matters that concern children of all backgrounds: Friendship and finding a place to fit in. Here's hoping that the Newbery committe enjoyed this read as much as I did.

The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine

This story is told much in the style of Richard Peck, an author who has been loved by the Newbery committee in the past. Another story of friendship (a popular theme this year among my Newbery picks), The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had is one that might not jump out immediately to kids, but will appeal with some pushing for its very tasteful yet honest look at racism and race relations in the deep south. I loved the story's short chapters which will make readers feel a great sense of accomplishment as they tear through them quickly, while at the same time giving proper treatment to the book's meaty themes.

Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me by Nan Marino

You may recall that several months ago I blogged about the wonders of this book and its similarities to Newbery Medal favorite When You Reach Me. In truth, the books are incredibly similar, with their historical settings and perfectly efficient writing. Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle was actually my personal favorite of the two. I loved its stunning look at the complex world of childhood friendships and petty hatreds, and the main character was perfectly drawn as an antagonistic protagonist. However, there's something about When You Reach Me that I can't quite put my finger on that make me think that it's the more likely candidate for the big medal and that Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle will get recognition with the silver Honors award.



Finally, here are a few other titles that didn't quite make my own cut, but have a decent shot at recognition. They help to round out my best-of-the-best list from 2009:

Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko
The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur
Positively by Courtney Sheinmel

Amazingly enough, I actually think that almost all of my Newbery picks for the year have a decent amount of kid appeal to them! Then again, that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I read an enjoyed them all. Does anyone else have other picks to add to the list?

No comments: