Friday, June 18, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Living in Chicago's suburbs are two teenage boys named Will Grayson. One, from Evanston, has a history of not caring that is complimented by his gay best friend, Tiny Cooper, and his lust for life. The other, from Naperville, is a depressed ball of angst full of anger and desperate affection for a mysterious boy named Isaac who he met online. The two live completely separate lives but are thrust together one night by sheer chance. Tiny Cooper becomes the thread that connects the two Will Graysons as all three learn something about how love makes you a part of the human race.

This book is co-authored by prolific YA authors John Green (An Abundance of Katherines) and David Lavithan (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist). Alternating chapters narrate the story from the perspectives of each Will Grayson and the distinct voices of each author, remaining distinct while still blending their stories together. I personally have never been much of a David Levithan fan, but I gave this book a chance because I adore John Green. While I distinctly preferred the chapters written by Green (Evanston Grayson), I greatly enjoyed this book as a whole. The entire novel is a great discussion about love and how learning to care about people and take chances with them is necessary for all of us to truly be happy. And Tiny Cooper, the fabulous and flamboyant character who ultimately ties the two stories together, is truly one of the most endearing characters I've seen in awhile.

Overall Grade: A

3 comments:

Tom Patrowsky said...

Woo! Evanston! Northwestern get any shoutouts?

Sandy said...

I want to say that Northwestern got a brief mention at one point. It wasn't a major deal as the main characters are in high school, but I did think of you. :)

Actually, you might like this book. I think that at the very least you'd get a massive kick out of Tiny Cooper's character.

Danielle said...

This was definitely one of my favorite books that I've read lately.