Friday, February 25, 2011

MIA - Picture Books

One of the hardest, yet one of the most fun things about starting a new job at a new library is getting to know the library's collection. Libraries can't buy every single book that's out there, so you really have to get to know what is available to patrons on your own shelves. Yes, we can place holds. But when a kid needs a book at the last minute for a school project, or a family is leaving that afternoon on vacation, or if the kid is just that darn impatient you don't have time to wait for a request to come in.

Since I'm still getting to know my collection, it has occasionally happened that I search for an old favorite only to discover that my library does not own a copy of the book. Remember my lament over the lack of Sandra Boynton books? Since then I've uncovered a few more gaps in the collection that have given me reason to pause and wonder what happened. Here are a few of the awesome picture books that I was shocked to see missing from the shelves:



































3 comments:

Lynn said...

OMG -- you know I'm shocked! Must order all of the above right away...especially Duck on a Bike! :)

Sandy said...

Lynn, I knew you would be sad to see Duck on a Bike on this list. Sometimes I like to imagine that these missing books were just loved so much that they fell apart and were for some reason never replaced. It makes me feel better for a little while anyway...

Danielle said...

No "The Napping House?" That's one of my go to storytime books!! I hope that you're right about them just being loved so much that they fell apart...