Thursday, July 21, 2011

Weird Kid

There is a teen who comes to my library on a fairly regular basis. He's a good kid but he's...how shall I say this gently...just a little weird. He's always alone at the library, and he desperately clings to library staff for social time. And I don't know how exactly to describe it, but there's something about his mannerisms that just isn't quite mainstream. Despite any of this, he's still a good kid - you can do far worse than a little awkwardness. And I think even more highly of him after today.

You see, I've been trying for almost a year now to get some teen programs started at the library. Unfortunately, I was having a heck of a time getting the teens to actually come to the events I'd planned. So when today's Games for Teens program rolled around, I wasn't even sure if I should even bother setting up for the event.

But then, my Weird Kid arrived. And he brought a friend! And after a little bit, two more teens arrived. A fifth arrived a bit after that. And guess who had invited all of these teens to the library? Weird Kid.

The moral of the story: Never, ever underestimate Weird Kid. He's probably a lot more awesome than you first realized.

4 comments:

carolynknz said...

Hello Sandy,
I've just come across your blog and read some interesting articles. The World Culture activities looked like great fun for the kids. Hope your job continues to go well for you. My background is teacher & school librarian but I'm also interested in a public library position when I finish my MIS which I'm working on now.
Regards, Carolyn

Sandy said...

Hi Carolyn! Thanks for stopping in and for taking the time to say hello. Best of luck to you as you finish your MIS!

Lynn said...

Rock on! I couldn't agree more...never underestimate the weird ones! ;)

Danielle said...

What a great story!