Monday, December 31, 2012

Sandy's Picks 2012 - Teen

It's that time of year again! Time to look back on what I read in 2012 and pick out the titles that I think were the best of the best. I'm not simply looking for literary quality or books that are award-worthy as I make this list (though such qualities certainly don't hurt a book's chances as making the cut). I'm just looking back at the books that made me happiest when I read them, and the books that have stuck with me as the year progressed.

According to Goodreads.com, I have read a total of 109 books this year. Of course, this number is not entirely accurate. This count does not include a wide range of picture books and non-fiction that I paged through and didn't record, nor does it include each volume of several manga series that I plowed through this year, where I reviewed the series as a whole instead of each individual volume.

Today we'll start out by taking a look at Young Adult (Teen) novels.


Guitar Notes by Mary Amato
Tripp, who plays guitar only for himself, and Lyla, a cellist whose talent has already made her famous but not happy, form an unlikely friendship when they are forced to share a practice room at their high school. A plot where friendship, rather than romance, becomes the driving force for a plot involving characters of the opposite sex? We don't see it very often in teen lit, which makes this book all the more refreshing.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few more years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal.  But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at the Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. Anytime John Green has a new book out you know you are in for a real treat. This latest work is no exception, and is probably his best effort since An Abundance of Katherines. The erudite characters will make you laugh, cry, and think deep thoughts all at once.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Last year Roth stormed onto the scene with Divergent, an action-packed page-turner where everyone must choose a trait-driven faction to join, which quickly took its place as the successor to The Hunger Games. While I enjoyed Divergent well enough, I don't think the series truly grabbed me until I read this second book in the trilogy. The plot thickens and the setting is further developed and an interesting twist at the end has left me eagerly awaiting the final installment.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.  If you haven't read this book yet, please do.  It's simply amazing, powerful and completely absorbing, and it's arguably the best book that I have read in quite some time.  Code Name Verity is also my top pick to win this year's Printz Medal.

Dust Girl by Sarah Zettel
Running a small Kansas hotel at the side of her single mom, Callie LeRoux struggles with health problems from regional dust storms.  Then when her mother disappears, Callie meets a mysterious stranger who indicates that her estranged father might be something other than human.  It seems that an interesting historical setting was the trump card this year for creating a great book, and Dust Girl is no exception.  Coupling the Dust Bowl era with faerie/fantasy elements makes this book, first in what will be a trilogy, stand out from the crowd. 

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
I discovered Zevin's "Birthright" trilogy a little late to the game earlier this year, and I just think that this series is a real winner.  The second book, Because It Is My Blood, was published this fall, and I am eagerly awaiting next year's final installment.  In a future where seemingly harmless things like chocolate and caffeine are illegal and other items like paper, water, and phone time are rationed, Anya Balanchine is the heir apparent to a New York mafia that deals in illegal chocolate.  She tries to protect her siblings by keeping out of the family business, but in the end it seems that Anya will not be able to escape the world of crime. 



 What were your favorite teen reads of 2012?  Share your favorites in the comments. 

No comments: