Tuesday, July 23, 2013

SLP Artwork

If you haven't figured this out yet from my posts, this year our summer library program theme is all about being underground - dirt, rocks, tunnels, etc.  Every year our theme - and some corresponding artwork - is provided by the Collaborative Summer Library Program.  The overall theme is given a different tag line and a separate set of artwork for each major age group - kids, teens and adults - and the CSLP also provides program suggestions and other materials that might be useful to librarians as they plan their own summer programs.  

This year, however, I had a bit of a dilemma when it came to materials provided for the teens.  The tagline for the teens, "Beneath the Surface" was just fine.  The tagline evokes the idea that things are more complex than they first appear, which is in my mind a great way for teens to approach this topic.  But the artwork that was intended to be used for the teen program...  Well, it didn't exactly correspond with the theme.  Here's an example:


You know what I see when I look at this poster?  I see a who lot of "up" and not a lot of "beneath the surface."  There's a flying machine!  And a Pegasus!  Something at this just doesn't add up with the theme to me.

After talking these issues out with my Teen Advisory Group (who agreed that the artwork was a tad lame), we made the decision to use the tagline and artwork intended for the adult program instead.  The adult tagline this summer is "Groundbreaking Reads," which was something that all of us could get behind.  More importantly, we loved the artwork created to go with this tagline.  I'll let it speak for itself:


Yup.  Definitely made the right decision there.  

No comments: