Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Window Chalk

When you were a kid, did you ever imagine that your handwriting would be on display for all to see as part of your job? I never did. But clearly I was mistaken in this childhood assumption - children's librarians find themselves showing off their penmanship skills all the time! With only one week remaining until my library's Summer Library Program begins, I flexed my handwriting muscles today to pull together a lovely window display.

My library is quite lucky to have such a large, lovely window to let in sunlight, while the large "pit" area in front of the window prevents our books from taking on any sun damage. It seemed a shame to not take advantage of the window as a display area to promote the Summer Library Program. The challenge? The sheer size of the window dwarfs normal posters. The solution? Window chalk!

Have you ever used window chalk before? It's awesome stuff. With this mostly-washable paint you can draw or write on glass surfaces. With a little water and a rag, the paint comes right off. You can also use window chalk on other surfaces for a permanent effect.

This was my first time using window chalk, and I'm very happy with the result. Since I have very little in the way of real artistic talent, I chose to do more writing than drawing. Simple wording and big, bold letters seemed ideal for this large space with just a few simple images to add some punch. I also displayed two of this summer's large posters for viewing to help promote this year's theme.

But in this case, pictures are way more fun than words. Take a look at my handiwork!



Apologies for the glare on these pictures. Very little to be done for it when photographing glass though. I'll edit this post if I'm able to get glare-free shots later.

1 comment:

Janice said...

Nice job on the windows. They look great!