Saturday, May 19, 2012

New Kids' Reads

It's been quiet here in Library Land. Almost too quiet. The weather is turning nice and kids are spending their time outside isntead of in the library.

So to hold us over until my next interesting, blog-able story comes along, here are a few books from the kids' room that I'm looking forward to reading:

Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger
I'm a big fan of Angleberger's The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, and I'm excited to see what he can do this this book. In this title a young boy tries to take over the world with the help of his impressive fake mustache. I've been promised that hilarity ensues.

Little Dog, Lost by Marion Dane Bauer
A novel in verse telling the story of a boy who needs a dog and a dog who needs a boy. I cataloged this book just this morning and it seems like it could be a real charmer.

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
Here's another book by an author who has pleased me in the past. This book is piece of historical fiction centered around school integration in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1958. Just as with her 2009 novel The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had, Lavine pulls together the themes of friendship and bravery to tall a story dealing with race relations.

The Fairy Ring, or How Elsie and Francis Fool the World by Mary Losure
This work of non-fiction tells about the Cottingly Fairies hoax. Two girls staged photographs of fairies to get their parents to stop teasing them. Little did they know that this innocent deception would spiral far beyond their control.

The Unseen Guest by Maryrose Wood
I'm a super big fan of the "Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place" series, and I'm sure that this third volume will be lots of fun to read. I can't wait to get started!

No comments: