Monday, November 26, 2012

Holds That Need Placing

My library is in the process of switching over to a new computer system.  This system hosts the library's catalog, allows us to check items in and out, keeps records of all of our patrons, allows us to add new items to the catalog, and of course, lets us place holds on items that are not currently available and/or that we need to get from other libraries.  Unfortunately, as we transition to the new system we have to temporarily give up certain tasks that we would normally do with the catalog to make the data transfer easier.  Three weeks ago we were forced to stop placing holds.

I didn't quite realize how much I relied on the ability to place holds until it was taken away.  In the meantime I have compiled a list of books that I desperately want to place on hold once we go live again:

My Truck Is Stuck by Kevin Lewis
I Love Trucks! by Philemon Sturges
I'm planning a truck-themed storytime that will happen only six days after go live, and I need these two books to read to my preschoolers.  Here's hoping that they arrive in time or I'll have to resort to my less-fun backups.

The Baby Beebee Bird by Diane Redfield Massie
Another picture book that I'd like to use in an upcoming storytime.  It's one of my favorite storytime read-alouds.

Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket
I'm super excited whenever Lemony Snicket (pen name for the glorious Daniel Handler) has a new book out because I love his brand of smart humor.  I'm especially excited because this book is the first in a new series that will document the life of a young Lemony Snicket (the character, not the "author") before his involvement with the awesome "A Series of Unfortunate Events."

In a Glass Grimmly by Adam Gidwitz
This books is the sequel to A Tale Dark and Grimm. Probably won't win any awards, though it did find a place on the Publisher's Weekly Best Books of 2012 list. Mostly I'm excited to read because of the fairy tale genre and because I liked the first book so much.

Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin
Twelve Kinds of Ice by Ellen Obed
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
These three books are what currently remains on my list of highly acclaimed and/or potentially award-worthy books that I need to read before the end of the year.  And the sooner the better - my library system does a Mock Newbery event and I'll want to have these read before we meet.

The Diviners by Libba Bray
Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
I mentioned both of these books in an earlier post detailing some YA titles I was dying to get my hands on. Should have placed my holds on these books then.

Reached by Ally Condie
I go back and forth on how excited I am about this final installment to the "Matched" trilogy.  But I should really get my name on the super-long hold list soon or I'll never get my hands on it.

House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
This is next month's pick for my teen book club.  I need to place holds on about eight copies of the book so that I can give them to my teens. 

No comments: