Friday, November 2, 2012

So Many Books...

As the end of the year is approaching, I've been trying desperately to read as many good books as I can in the hopes that I will a) be able to start fresh with 2013 titles when it comes time to flip the calendar, and b) have read a few award winners and won't have to play catch-up when awards are announced in January.  It's a tough but enjoyable process.  There are so many great books out there, and so little time to sit down and read!  Here are a few young adult titles that I'm hoping to sneak in very soon:

Shadow and Bone by Leign Badugo
The bones of the plot sounds a little familiar:  Ordinary girl discovers that she has mysterious powers.  Girl tries to learn to use said powers.  The plot thickens with intrigue and romance.  But predictable plots rarely get glowing starred reviews, so I'm looking forward to this one.  The Russian influences on the setting seem especially intriguing.

The Diviners by Libba Bray
Set in the 1920s, Evie finds herself living in New York City with her uncle, who is the curator for the Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult. Evie is soon helping to investigate some occult-based murders. Add in a dose of "mysterious power" and we have ourselves the the recipe for an intriguing story.

Call the Shots by Don Calame
I love Don Calame's books. He's my go-to author for boys looking for something funny and I've been looking forward to this book ever since last year's Beat the Band. This time the gang has decided to make their own low-budget horror film. Antics and hilarity ensue.

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Samantha's life seems very safe and calm, while Jase's family next door is loud and boisterous.  Of course, the two teens fall hard for each other.  Then tragedy strikes.  Elements of this book sound a bit like Jo Knowles' See You At Harry's, which I loved, and probably adds to my draw to this novel.

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
Last year's Daughter of Smoke and Bone blew my mind with a story that began with the words, "Once upon a time an angel and a devil fell in love.  It did not end well."  I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for the sequel ever since.  Karou is a highly likable heroine and I need to know what happens next in the angel/chimera war. 

Does anyone out there have any other must-read YA titles from 2012 to share?  I'm definitely interested in adding to this list...

No comments: