Friday, January 24, 2014

Silly Questions: 1, Logic: 0

Today a pair of kids, a boy and a girl, both roughly ages 7-9, came into the children's area desperately looking for books about their favorite music personalities:  Justin Bieber and One Direction.  I'm trying to help the girl search for books (desperately repressing snide comments about Bieber's recent arrest) while the boy decides to take matters into his own hands.  Cleverly, he goes over to one of the OPACs and begins searching on his own.  Awesome!  After awhile he catches up to me with a scrap of paper in his hand and asks:

"Excuse me, where are the children's books?"

It was really hard not to crack up at this point.  After all, we're in the children's room.  All of the books are children's books!  These kids are also fairly regular library users - I'm pretty sure that he knows that we're in the children's part of the library.  Alas, sometimes such logic is lost on the young.

I stifle a giggle and tell him that all of the books in this whole room are children's books.  His eyes get big, as if this is somehow new information.  I then proceed to help him figure out how to find the book that he found in the catalog on the shelf and it evolved into - I think - a pretty good lesson on how to use the catalog and interpret what it tells us.

All's well that ends well.

No comments: